The fortified church St. Michael in Wachau is located at a narrow point where the road on the left bank of the Danube could be well secured. The Gothic church was built in 1500-1523. Worth seeing are the Gothic man of sorrows (about 1400), apostles and a pieta from the time of the Danube School (1520). A real rarity is the organ of the church. It was built in 1650 and is one of the oldest in Austria. In the Chapel of the Karner (built in 1395) you can see, among other things, two Josefin municipal coffins, so-called savings coffins, from the year 1784. The Karner also contains three mummies from the Renaissance. At present they are the oldest known modern mummies of Austria. Also inside there are 15 widow braids. Widdows cut them off to honor their dead husbands.
A defense tower, remnants of the wall with loopholes indicate the former fortification. Today, the church is used mainly for weddings and cultural events (concerts). In addition, tour groups with priests can celebrate masses at any time. In the chapel room with ribbed vault, the altar is made up of skulls.
For more information please see their website (German).