The German Cathedral in Berlin is a mighty domed building next to the concert hall in the Mitte district. It’s home to a museum and can be visited free of charge. Together with its counterpart, the French Cathedral it’s part of the Gendarmenmarkt. It is one of the most beautiful squares in Germany.
The church that became a museum
The German cathedral in Berlin was built between 1708 and 1785 to the baroque German church from 1708. Like the neighboring French Cathedral, the design of the German Cathedral was designed by the architect Carl von Gontard, who also planned the Brandenburg Gate in Potsdam. The dome with a diameter of about 13 meters rests on a temple-like rotunda above the former church tower. On top of it stands the gilded statue of an allegory of virtue. To the west is the main room of the former church on a pentagonal floor plan. Above this part of the building is another dome which has a diameter of about 23 meters.
The domed tower of the German Cathedral is about 70 m high and houses an exhibition of the German Bundestag. On the basis of display boards, photos and historical documents, the emergence of the political parties in the Federal Republic of Germany can be reconstructed with free admission. Free guided tours are also possible. Like the Concert Hall and the French Cathedral, the German Cathedral was heavily damaged during the Second World War and restored and rebuilt only 50 years later. On October 2, 1996, the ceremonial opening of the faithfully restored German Cathedral took place.
Opening hours: Tuesdays to Sundays 10 am to 6 pm, May to September to 7 pm
More information about the Deutscher Dom.