The cathedral is considered one of the most significant cultural historical buildings in the Austrian city of Graz. The Graz Cathedral is not like the St. Stephen’s Cathedral in Vienna or the Linz Cathedral. The “Grazer Dom” is less intrusive and rather discreet. Emperor Frederick III built it in 1438 during his reign. At that time Graz was the capital of the Roman-German empire. Throughout the years, the cathedral has been modernized several times. Thus, it features a balanced mix of Baroque and Gothic elements. The originally impressively painted facades are largely white. Only from some fresco remains. The best known is the image of the three plagues attributed to the painter Thomas von Villach. It refers to the year 1480, in which three plagues broke over Graz: plague, war and locusts.
Simple outside, exquisite inside of Cathedral Graz
The interior of the church has been altered several times. For example by installing side chapels and a baroque organ loft. The most precious in Graz Cathedral are the two reliquary shrines left and right of the entrance to the chancel. The high altar is especially sumptuous and a very impressive sight. The pulpit, choir stalls and pews are of impressive quality. From the time of Emperor Frederick only one piece of equipment has survived. The crucifixion created around 1457 by Conrad Laib.
In 1614 Ferdinand II decided to build a dignified burial ground next to the Graz Cathedral on the grounds of the former cemetery. It became the most important representative building of the imperial court in Graz. From its very top you can enjoy a great view over the roofs of the city.
Cathedral Graz on Wikipedia.
For more information, please visit the Graz tourism website.