The Landhaus in Linz is one of the remarkable architectural jewels of Linz. The wonderful courtyard with its fountain has a very Italian flair. Today, the former monastery building is the center of Upper Austria’s political scene. It is the seat of the Upper Austrian Landtag and the Upper Austrian Provincial Government. Renovated from 2006-2009 the Landhaus is in a very good condition and allows a barrier-free entry.
The Landhaus in Linz is a splendid example of Renaissance architecture
It was built in a total construction period of 90 years (1568-1658) in several stages of construction. In the courtyard is a beautiful fountain. The courtyard is framed by multi-storey arcades.
Around 1630 a Protestant agricultural school was housed here, whose most famous teacher was the astronomer Johannes Kepler. The 66 m high tower was built in 1638. It has a sundial on each side, a Baroque spire and a tower room. Until 1932 a tower guarded lived in the tower room to ensure the safety of the city. In 1760, the adjoining late Baroque Minorittenkirche was completed. In this place of worship, works by Bartolomeo Altomonte and Martin Johann Schmidt can be admired.
The most magnificent room of the country house is the “Stone Hall”, so called because of the pillars of reddish brown Salzburg marble. The Renaissance arcade courtyard with the planet fountain is considered one of the most beautiful in Austria. During the summer months, concerts are held here in a unique atmosphere. In front of the south gate one can take a look at the “forgotten bridge”. It was rediscovered just a few years ago and used as a passage over the former moat.
You can climb the tower of the Landhaus as part of special city tours. From the top there is a fantastic panoramic view of the city and the surrounding area. Otherwise, the rooms of the country house are not open to the public.
More information on the Landhaus.
Looking for other free attractions in Linz and Upper Austria?