The Old Cathedral in Linz (also called Ignatiuskirche) is a baroque jewel in the city center of Linz and has two thematic focal points: the high altar and the pulpit. Built in the years 1669-1678, the baroque church impresses visitors with its spaciousness – it’s more than 50 meters long. The wonderful high altar was built between 1681 and 1683 by the Italian artists Giovanni Battista Colomba and Giovanni Battista Barberini.
Jesuits and the Old Cathedral in Linz
Until the abrogation of the Order in 1773, the Church of Ignatius was cared for by the Jesuits. From 1785 to 1909 it was the episcopal church of the diocese of Linz. Since its replacement in this function by the New Cathedral, the Old Cathedral is again cared for by the Jesuit order.The church is also used as a tomb. For example, the first Bishop of Linz Ernest Johann Nepomuk von Herberstein and Maria Elisabeth (a daughter of empress Maria Theresa) are buried here. Many of the Jesuits working in Linz also found their final resting place in the church.
Another highlight is the church’s Bruckner organ from the 18th century. The famous Austrian composer Anton Bruckner was the cathedral’s organist for thirteen years from 1855 to 1868. The organ is the last remaining one in original condition played by the master himself. In Bruckner’s memory the Old Cathedral in Linz is the venue for several concerts every year.
Read mor about the Ignatiuskirche (English).
Find other free sights in Linz and Upper Austria.