St Lukas Church in Munich is the third Protestant-Lutheran church in the city. It is located on the western bank of the Isar River between the Ludwigs- and Maximiliansbrücke. As a Protestant-Lutheran parish church of historicism, it is one of the only ones in Munich that are almost completely preserved.
In World War II, it was partly destroyed. The interior of the church is determined by rich architectural historicist architecture. The church’s interior design was based on the transitional style of Romanesque to Gothic. Noteworthy is the rich altarpiece by the painter Gustav Goldberg and sculptor F. Geer, the pulpit, the baptismal font as well as floor mosaics and carved stalls. The church in the choir received a new color glaze as early as 1946. The two rosettes in the south and north were designed by the glass artist Reiner John in 2008/09. The organ was created in 1932 by the Oettinger company G. F. Steinmeyer & Co.
St Lukas Church in Munich is open almost daily as a place of silence for visitors. Several times a week services are held, about which St. Luke is known as a place for concerts, exhibitions, art events and other events. St. Lukas is inhabited from mid-November to mid-April. In these months, the basement below the church becomes the home for homeless women.
For more information please visit here.
Check out this list of other free attractions in Bavaria’s Capital!