The history of St. Martin’s Cathedral in Bratislava is closely linked to the beginnings of Christianity in the area around todays capital of Slovakia. It shoots go back to the 9th century, when a mission church was built on the castle hill above the Danube. Probably in the second half of the 11th century the small mission center was transformed into a collegiate chapter of canons with a provost at the head. Between the years 1204 and 1221, the collegiate chapter moved to the expectant city.
The new church was built on the site of an older small church. In the late Middle Ages the St. Martin’s Cathedral in Bratislava became an intellectual center. The original Romanesque church from the 13th century was rebuilt several times. Finally, in 1452 today’s Gothic church was consecrated. The tower from the time of Sigmund of Luxembourg is 85 meters high and one of the dominant parts of the city.
St. Martin’s Cathedral in Bratislava has a Wonderful Interior
The interior of the church is divided by pillars into three naves. The light enters the building through impressive gothic windows with modern glazing. The Gothic baptismal font, whose lower part dates from 1410, is the oldest item in the inventory in the church. In the years 1563 – 1830 11 rulers of the Kingdom of Hungary and 8 of their wives were crowned in the church, which is reminiscent of a neo-Gothic inscription in the presbytery. On June 30, 1995, the cathedral was visited by John Paul II. In the jubilee year of 2000, the church was given a bell by every neighboring country. A total of five new bells together with the old 2500 kg heavy bell Wederin from the year 1674 give a harmonious sound.
For more information please visit their official website.
Looking for other places in Bratislava that you can visit for free? Check out this list!