St. Maximilian Church in Munich was built at the end of the 19th century to keep up with the rapid growth of the Bavarian metropolis. Three new prayer sites were commissioned. Thus, the construction of the St. Maximilian was approved in the neo-Romanesque style. This also had political reasons. After the founding of the German Empire in 1871, Romanesque architecture was seen as emphasizing its loyalty to dynastic rule. At the same time this style created a continuity with the Roman-German empire of the Middle Ages.
Directly on the banks of the Isar, the two church towers of St. Maximilian tower into the sky. The imposing building was built between the years 1895 and 1901.
Construction of St. Maximilain church in Munich was difficult due to the nature of the soil. The towers had to be moved to the south. Only there it was possible to drive the supporting piles into the ground. In order to illuminate the church with natural light, the two towers were connected with an open gallery. From here the light shines through two large windows into the interior of the church. The soil proved to be very soft in most of construction site. Thus, the support for the roof wasn’t made of stone. Instead, wooden beams were used. This made the whole structure lighter and lowered the construction costs.
After the Second World War, the church was heavily destroyed. Reconstruction started in 1949. In 1953, St. Maximilian was re-consecrated. The pointed tower roofs that dominated the construction before the bombing were not rebuilt.
For more information please visit here.
More Looking for other things to do for free in Bavaria’s Capital?