St. Michael’s church in Munich is the first Renaissance church north of the Alps and considered a model for Baroque church construction in southern Germany. Built between 1583 and 1597, the church is the final resting place for many noble people. Among them are Duke Wilhelm V., Elector Maximilian I. and King Ludwig II.
The church was built by Duke Wilhelm V. During the construction of the church, a tower of the not quite finished church collapsed and destroyed the sanctuary. The Duke’s financial officials considered this a sign of heaven. The sluggish public finances in view, they expressed their views to Wilhelm V. They proposed to renounce the planned choir room altogether. The Duke replied that he, too, thought that was a sign from heaven. But he had come to the conclusion that the first choir room was too small for such an important angel as the Archangel Michael. Thus, a disproportionately long choir space was created to the north, as you can still see it today. The tower is today at the northern end of the nave.
St. Michael’s Church in Munich got partly destroyed in World War II
The mighty barrel vault in the interior collapsed after air raids in World War II and was rebuilt in the post-war years. In the facade 15 figures of former rulers are incorporated, which are to keep the evil away and promote the good. Jesus Christ stands at the head of the church and watches over Munich. Since spring 2013, the church shines after four years of renovation in new splendor.
Several times a day, services invite you to stay. The elongated interior reflects the life of Jesus: The garment shows his life – accompanied by angels – from his childhood. The interior of the church demonstrates counter-reformatory strength: the vault, the choir arch and the arches to the side altars appear as triumphal arches after the antique model.
For more information please visit here (in German).
Here are more Free Things To Do In Munich!