St. Matthew’s Church in Berlin is an Evangelical church in the southern Tiergarten district, an upper-middle-class residential area from the first half of the 19th century. Higher officials, entrepreneurs, artists and scientists settled here. The closest church was the Trinity Church, which was far away. Thus, the local people wanted to build their own. The church was subsequently built to a design by the architect and senior Prussian building officer Friedrich August Stüler until October 1845.
Damaged in the War
Stüler created a three-nave church. In the north, a slender tower completes the nave. The building is based on the Upper Italian Romanesque. In the midst of today’s very modern new buildings, this building still looks relatively contemporary. In the 1930s the district around the church stood in the way of the expansion plans for Berlin of the National Socialists. In preparation for the expansion to the “World Capital Germania” many houses were demolished. The church itself was to be demolished and rebuilt in Spandau. The Allied air raids and the Battle of Berlin reduced the remains of the neighborhood to rubble and ashes. St. Matthew’s Church in Berlin was severely damaged.
Part of a Cultural Forum
The surrounding area was given a completely new use after the war. It was developed – at the interface between East and West Berlin – into a cultural forum. The church has also become part of the cultural forum. Inside the church important works of art can be seen permanently. There are also exhibitions of contemporary art, concerts, panel discussions, sermon series and much more.
For more information on the free exhibitions in the church, please visit their website (in German).
More free sights in Berlin.